Thursday 27 September 2012

tlc..taking unscripted to a whole new level


TLC is a great channel, don't get me wrong. I love the concept of presenting real people going through real hardship or glorifying their success, but to what extent?

Lets look at the good. 

You can find shows like Long Island Medium that is basicly the definition of heartwarming. The Little Couple, 19 kids and Counting as well as What Not to Wear are examples of uplifting shows that depict real life stories. Then, there are some shows that are simply inspiring like Abbey and Britney: the conjoint twins that are proving to the world that they are normal. It is intriguing, but do we feel sorry for them? Are we watching the show for entertainment, or because we're interested in the science behind it all? Without looking too much into it, you can tell that TLC's intentions are all around good with these shows. There is no clear exploitation. However..

Lets look at the bad. 

The first thing that comes to minds when I think ''TLC gone wrong'' is Jon and Kate Plus Eight. Do not even try to deny it, we all watched it and considered adopting all 8 of those kids! Way too adorable, right? They were such a sweet family that were beating the odds. A show full of optimism. But what went wrong? The audience was absolutely consumed by their extremely invasive television show and fame got to their head. The audience became paparazzi and broke every rule there is in privacy. It ended up being a spiral cycle going into oblivion when they finally got a divorce. Cool. That was exactly the happily ever after I was expecting.

Now, Here Comes Honey Boo Boo is real cute (although I'm pretty sure some of my brain cells die slowly but surely when I'm watching it), but what is going to happen in a few months? Honey Boo Boo is pure mockery. How is this useful? Plus, they just bought more episodes now that they season is over. They are video tapping a hillbilly-to-the-greasy-core family and we are all laughing at them. Mind you, they are all laughing at each other on the show so what's the problem? Right? Here's the twisted part: we watch that show and, once we turn off the TV, we feel better about our lives. I know I sure do so please don't feel like I am attacking anyone in anyway. I'm as much to blame as anyone else. But are we laughing at them or with them? TLC is strictly using that family for entertainment. It's obvious that they take the most grotesque scenes (i.e. when ''Mama'' burps on camera, or farts in the opening credits, how classy). Its doubtful that they would put anything different because then there would be no point in watching. That doesn't quite sound like our beloved channel 34, now does it? 

Neutral?

Here comes the subject where I feel torn. Breaking Amish. This new show has me glued to my couch every single time it airs. It is so intriguing and interesting to witness such a cut off community struggle with the desire to be something more. We get a glimpse into the Amish and Mennonite life and, as heart breaking as it is when we see them say goodbye to their family, we need to remember how appalling this was for them. We are witnessing something of a blasphemy and their family is basically shunning them. When did we become deserving enough to watch this?

I understand that it’s primarily about these individuals trying to find themselves in New York City. That on its own is true to TLC's mission and ideologies. However, if we put ourselves in the shoes of those they left behind, how upset would you be knowing that millions of people will be watching you. Even more so when they are modeling! TV alone is a foreign concept to them. How do they wrap their minds around it all?

Moreover, it gives me a sense of unease knowing that they live like that. As hard as it is to swallow, it makes me thankful for the experiences I've had. It also makes me happy that they are about to experience life the way it should be. But it's interesting to think that their community sees it as a sin. Nonetheless, I will continue to watch this show just to see how it pans out. Its eye opening. Whether it is for or against their values, is up for debate. (Would love your opinion on any of these topics!)

There is one thing I know for sure; Say Yes to the Dress and Four Weddings is A-OK in my books. What else am I supposed to do on a Friday night? (This may or may not have tainted my credibility. What can I say? A girl needs ideas.)

DD

No comments:

Post a Comment