Wednesday 24 October 2012

fondest halloween memory - the only one at that

I’ve always had mixed feelings towards Halloween. It is a simply terrifying time of the year but, if you push through the fear, you get candy. Really? It’s a twisted mind game but I always played along to get the goods. However, there is one great moment from my childhood that I recall every year. I was 6 years old and the Disney movie Beauty and the Beast had just been released. Oh, I cannot tell you the countless hours I spent daydreaming of being Belle. I was born to be her, I continuously told myself. All that wishing and hoping finally paid off the day my mother took me shopping for a Halloween costume. I was on a simple mission: find that yellow dress from the ballroom scene. From the moment I walked in Walmart on that fateful day, it didn’t take too long to find it. I was in heaven. It felt like pure bliss. I even remember purposely playing the movie the night we bought the dress and running upstairs to change into my costume when the scene appeared. Of course, the scene ended by the time my mother did my hair to match the outfit but I was Belle. There was a rush of joy that came over me; it felt so right. This all sounds a tad melo-dramatic but you can’t expect anything less from a kid, now can you?

It was one of the best Halloween’s I’ve ever had! Although, the fact that my parents forced me to put a winter jacket underneath the costume was beyond humiliating. Not exactly the slimming look a 6 year old aims for but I rocked it nonetheless.
 
Hope everyone has a good Halloween this weekend! Be safe!
RIP diet
 
DD

No comments:

Post a Comment