Friday 30 August 2013

Should you handle the heat?


Since I can remember I've been going in tanning beds. 


Woah now, ok, I'm not the only one, but it doesn't make it alright.
 

It's truthfully a terrible thing to do to my skin and, 3 years ago I promised a little lady that I would quit for good. She wanted me to take care of my skin and not end up in her shoes and asked me to stop. By no means was I addicted and going twice a day or anything. But going at all was wrong. How could I say no? I made the promise. What's next is horrific, I know. But I kept going in the tanning beds in spite of the gut wrenching guilt that haunted me. Ugh, I was and still am the worst for not following through on that promise. 

You see, everyone has that thing! Some feel beautiful in a gorgeous pair of new shoes, or with a good spread of makeup up and rockin lashes, some even feel beautiful with their hair did, everything did and some feel it when they put a fresh coat of lipstick. Everyone feels comfortable with a certain additional oomph! Mine? A tan. God I felt horrendous when I was pale! A good tanning session brought up my confidence and God forbid I'd go a whole winter without tanning. Out of the question. It was a question of feeling beautiful and asking me to take it away? Ya right! Try telling someone to go to shopping without a perfect outfit or to dinner with no makeup on. I can think of a few people who know what I mean will understand this feeling. 

Now, I've come to the realization that it's really about inner beauty in the long run. Why torture my skin to have a glow right smack in the middle of January when it'll create problems for me in when i'm forty. My insecurities took over after I promised that I would stop. I'm battling insecurities every day of my life and this is the next war, ladies and gents! No fake bakin for this girl all winter! You mark my words.  

Look, here's my new promise: on my birthday, January 30th, usually the coldest day of the winter (it's true!) I will take an infamous selfie with not an ounce of makeup on! Y'all are gonna this Irish white freckle face chick for who she truly is. More than that, you'll see my imperfections! As much as I hate them, its what makes me perfectly myself. I suspect my skin will appear much healthier without a weekly tan and perhaps a day or two a week with no makeup, IN PUBLIC!! Feels amazing to say that I will follow through on her promise. Besides, saving money from no tanning is quite awesome! 

I know a lot of you go for an occasional mid winter tan and I'm encouraging you to join me on my mission! The war against my insecurity commences this very second! Anyone else taking the pledge? If you do, you have to show off your true beauty with me on my 23rd birthday! No makeup selfie for everyone! Let me know! I sure as hell will show it off! Will you? 


DD

No comments:

Post a Comment